Protective Services for the Elderly in the Department of Social Services

Seniors and Overmedication

The Department of Social Services has a section devoted to elderly protection and care. This is called Protective Services for the Elderly, and it could be a good resource for you and your family. If you have an elderly loved one who needs help, consider contacting Protective Services for the Elderly. You can learn more about this department in this post.

What is Protective Services for the Elderly?

The Department of Social Services, Protective Services for the Elderly is the department in Connecticut where mandated reporters and others should report elder abuse and neglect. Included in this department is law enforcement, health and human services, and the court system. The program is designed to protect citizens who are 60 years old or older from physical, mental, and emotional harm and abuse, neglect, abandonment, and financial abuse and exploitation.

Taking Care of Abuse

After reporting abuse to the department, social workers respond to the reports and devise a plan of care that is aimed at keeping the victim safe and allowing the victim to make their own decisions about what they want to do. These social workers may help the victim with their current living situation, legal rights, injuries or harm, transportation, and other services.

One of the main priorities of the department is to come up with a plan that could include crisis intervention, companionship, counseling, home health care, meal delivery, long-term services, and more. In emergency cases, the department may seek a Conservator who will make decisions on behalf of the elderly victim, if it is determined that they lack the capacity to consent or make decisions for themselves.

The department can also offer social work services to the family members of the victims to help with crisis intervention, case management, and supportive counseling. The program can provide shelter services for victims of domestic violence, and help arrange shelter services, support staff, emergency food and living expenses, and social services for victims of household abuse.

Mandated reporters such as police officers and physicians are required to report elder abuse and neglect to the DSS Protective Services for the Elderly. Even if you are not a mandated reporter, it is strongly advised to report abuse to this department in order to get victims the help that they need.

Getting Help

If you know someone who may be a victim of elder abuse or neglect, it is important to report the abuse to DSS Protective Services for the Elderly. You can also call and speak with one of our attorneys to see what your options are. We are here to help your family through this difficult time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *